Ron & Gary:

The KR series originated in the early 70s.  Got my original KR2 plans is '76
and upgraded them in '82, All well before the internet.  The Q1 & Q2 were an
upgrade based on the Rutan Quickie whether it was originally from the
Q1 & 2  were from the Rutan stable or not or just sumeones development from the
Quickie I'm not sure.  I think the design suffered a set back when the Quickie
developed a  problem when flying in wet weather as the canard
would lose lift which resulter in some accidents and fatalities.  I know that
the canard airfoil or design was changed somehow and the problem was cured but
by then the design had been compromised in the eyes of all because
it was not a standard configuration  aircraft wich made be shy away for safety
reasons.  The KR series did not suffer any of these issues so it faired far
better and has a much larger presence.  The KR1 being featured in
Popular Science or Popular mechanics did not hurt the KR's image either.

Don