Seems that there is some carb heat discussion - Carb heat is essential
esspecially with certain carbs.   My ( and I emphesize that this is MY  setup)
is
as follows.  Corvair engine with a 35mm Aerocarb, No carb  heat, filter inside
a plenum box inside the cowl.  The engine intake air  come from the warm air
off the bottom of the engine near the oil pan.   First - the Aerocarb is NOT
suseptible to icing as other carbs are due to its  design.  It is very similar
to the POSA and REVFLOW.  An ELLISON looks  very similar but IS suseptable to
icing.  Ive had 350 hours on the Aerocarb  and the only issues Ive had were a
sticky throttle (fixed with stiffer cable and  not reducing to idle after
flying at full throttle - a vacuum issue) and I had  some vapor locking early
on -
not actually a carb issue but reducing heat in the  cowl area.
I believe that since Joe Horton has an Aerocarb and had some symptoms
similar to my early vapor lock symtoms that his repairs are to be in line with
reducing the cowl heat.

Again - My setup - dont follow if you are not comfortable with it.   Some
Aeorcarb owner have a carb heat box but from what I have heard - never use  it.

The Aeorcarb does not operate well with ram air so steady cowl air,  though
warmer, work the best.

Bill and 41768