At 04:51 PM 4/25/2006, you wrote:
>My understanding is the foam is completely non-structural, and by
>removing it, I could possibly save up to 20Lbs.
>Proposed method is to glue the foam in place, per plans, but apply duct
>tape over the foam between the spars and around the leading edge, glass
>the wing, then pop the foam loose, leaving the nicely shaped fibreglass
>behind.

The foam is most definitely structural.  It carries a
significant  portion of the shear load from wing skin to the
spar.  It resists the skin buckling when the wing bends.  It
transfers localized stresses to help prevent punctures.

Don Reid  -  donreid "at" peoplepc.com
Bumpass, Va

Visit my web sites at:

AeroFoil, a 2-D Airfoil Design And Analysis Computer Program:
http://aerofoilengineering.com

KR2XL construction: http://aerofoilengineering.com/KR/KR2XL.htm
Aviation Surplus: http://aerofoilengineering.com/PartsListing/Airparts.htm
EAA Chapter 231: http://eaa231.org