Thanks for the informative replies gentlemen.

It was something that crossed my mind after reading a Sport Aviation
article that said quote "PS foam has little to do with the strength of
the finished process. It is merely a filler and, most important, a
built-in mold or form"

Having read some of the replies, I will certainly be leaving the foam in
place and look at other areas where I can reduce the weight. Installing
a Jabiru 2200 works in 2 ways. The 135lb installed weight is one, and
lightening my wallet of $13,750 AUD is another.

Thanks again.

Rob.

Robin Wills
Second Person, Pacific National