I bought a level with a laser in the end of it from Harbor Freight Tools for
about $15.  I sat it down on my table at one end with the beam shining down the
table.  I then used my six inch cabinet square as a target for the beam.  I
could easily read the levelness of the table to 1/32 of an inch (0.031).  I
then brought the top of the 1 inch thick plywood top to perfectly flat with a
belt sander.  It was messy and laborious, but it makes for an excellent
reference plane.  The two coatings of deck enamel have survived well during the
construction of two planes.

I also found that mounting the laser on a camera tripod and using the
line-making lens gave me an excellent reference for a straight line around the
compound curve for the part line on my cowling.

Jim Vance
Claflin, Kansas
va...@hbcomm.net