Oscar (old KRNet timer like myself:-)

The 396 has become the mainstay of pilots who want the ultimate in
portability, situational awareness, weather and various data bases.  Yes,
there are other units out there but Garmin did capture the market with their
unit.  I have not bought one as I am only hanging my engine this weekend and
all those new and fabulous electronic thingees only get better, and from
more vendors, as time passes.  I know several, probably more than that, that
fly the 396 regularly and swear by it's reliability and feel naked without
the weather function.  I can download weather onto my 430 but for twice the
price of the 396..............hum, I may be a dumb@$$ sometimes but this
ain't one of them.

The airplanes we are building are go fast airplanes.  The country gets small
but that only brings the weather to bear sooner and more often.  Check the
stats, weather is the #1 killer in the sky whether it is controlled flight
into terrain or structural failure after VFR flight into IMC.  If you
haven't seen the weather version of the 396, go to garmins site and download
the free trial.

Dana Overall
1999 & 2000 National KR Gathering host
Richmond, KY i39