At 05:49 PM 6/18/2006, you wrote:
>Does anyone know where to get a headset adaptor for an ICOM IC A-20
>transceiver? I see them for sale for the newer radios but don't know
>if they fit the older units. Has anyone gone to the extent of
>putting in an intercom to help interface the handheld to the headset?
>Paul
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Yes, I've been using an intercom hooked to my handheld radio for 220 hours now.
I can't recall the brand but it is one of the companies you see
advertised in all
the popular supply houses.  It plugs directly in to my handheld.  I
think the only
radio it won't work with is possibly the Sportiy's radio which had a
non-standard
jack separation.  They  may have changed the newer radios but I'm not sure.
As I recall, it has a switch to select either ICON or King.  My only
problem is that
my cockpit noise level is so high that I have a problem with the noise breaking
the squelch circuit.  If I turn the squelch up high enough to
eliminate the cockpit
noise in the headset, I have a problem breaking the squelch with my
voice.  I have
someone that is supposed to be working on a plug-in module to put a ANC
circuit on my mic but I've not heard back from him in a while.  I'm
hoping that with
the pickup for the mic circuit behind me in the cockpit, it will
cancel out the cockpit
noise but not my voice.   We shall see.

With a good handheld radio (mine is a JRC from AS&S) and an external antenna,
people on the receiving end will think you have a panel mounted radio.  Also,
start saving up for an ANC headset.  You won't regret it.

Larry Flesner