Last year testing with 120 pounds of simulated passenger weight, and me at
195#, with half fuel my plane was just busy, but not unstable. It is a KR2
built to plans with 1 inch extension on the motor mounts of the VW standard
mount. The 1915 cc VW engine was not big enough for a decent climb rate with
full fuel  and same weights.  That is when I stopped testing and bought the
Corvair motor.  According to WW, his revised mount puts the Corvair in the best
CG point as compared to the VW perviously.  I added another 1/2" with a
reinforcement to the existing firewall, and I have a heavier alternator than WW
or Bill Clapp, mounted to the front of the engine.  So I expect my CG to come
in at or just ahead of the forward limit when empty, which is where I want it
to be.  If it doesn't I will probably add a second battery on the firewall, as
abck up and additional forward ballast.  At full weight I plan for mine to come
in on or just behind the middle of the CG range, and not move more than 1 inch
from full fuel to reserve, which still puts it in the first 6 inches of the 8
total mentioned.  It should still be fast enough, but more stable. I will give
up alittle  in speed to be more stable.  I have heard that a 3 blade prop is
more drag but better climb. I want the climb rate, and better bite with a
smaller disc area, so I have a 3 bladed Warp Drive.

Ken if I understand your remarks then your last 1.5 inches is in the range of
the last 2 inches of CG that most KR drivers have agreed not to use (the last 2
inches of the 8 inch original design range).  If not my apologies, but I would
make some small changes to make sure that I did not get into that area of the
CG range any more. My main concern would be the inability to recover from a
spin with too short of an arm the biggest reason.  This circumstance is a
danger in any aircraft loaded that way.

Colin
N96TA

  • KR> Cg bo...@hatconversions.com