At 08:45 AM 7/22/2006, you wrote:
>My KR2 (built by others) was fitted with heaps of VGs under the
>horizontal stab, on the fuselage prior to the rudder, on the landing
>gear and in front of the canopy. A previous archive search suggested
>that it lowers stall speed and if placed correctly has no speed
>effect.  There are none placed on the main wing (original aerofoil).
>I don't understand why the previous owner wanted to lower the stall
>speed of the horizontal stab, but not the main aerofoil...and why
>the association with the rudder and canopy?  Were they just VG crazy?
>Any thoughts?

The vortex generators upstream of the tail surfaces will/can improve
control authority at low speed by keeping the airflow attached to the
elevator or rudder when they are deflected.  As for the gear, canopy,
and other non wing-type surface, the only reason to put them there
that I can think of is that the previous owner did not know what he
was doing.

Tripping the flow from laminar or turbulent to separated in a
controlled manner (which is what a vortex generator does) can
sometimes reduce drag, but only if it is done correctly.  A vortex
generator is not the proper way to do this.  I suggest that those can
be removed and you will not notice any difference.

Don Reid  -  donreid "at" peoplepc.com
Bumpass, Va

Visit my web sites at:

AeroFoil, a 2-D Airfoil Design And Analysis Computer Program:
http://aerofoilengineering.com

KR2XL construction: http://aerofoilengineering.com/KR/KR2XL.htm
EAA Chapter 231: http://eaa231.org
Ultralights: http://usua250.org