Rick's statement is incorrect.  A plans built aircraft can still be an ELSA
if the manufacturer has developed a procedure for building all of the parts
and the builder follows it.  Of course this assumes that the manufacturer
has built and certified at least one SLSA.

The statement by Kevin that the KR1B is E-LSA compliant is misleading /
incorrect.  It may be LSA compliant, but since RR hasn't built one and
performed the SLSA analysis and testing it can't be an ELSA.

The advantage of an ELSA is the new repairman certificate that lets you work
on more than one airplane.

For those interested in the details go to EAA's sport pilot site
www.sportpilot.org.

Colin, I was trying to stay out of this thread.  I'm sure that I am on your
list of those that have beat this topic into the ground in the past and am
also in the category of never having built, owned or flown a KR, although I
do own a set of KR2S plans.  I also own a  copy of the ASTM Standards F
2279-03 "Standard Practice for Quality Assurance in the Manufacture of Light
Sport Airplanes" and F 2245-04 "Standard Specification for Design and
Performance of a Light Sport Airplane."  Included are interesting things
like the required performance for a go-around.

"4.4.5 Balked Landing-The airplane shall demonstrate a full-throttle climb
gradient at 1.3VSO which shall exceed 1?30 within 5 s of power application
from aborted landing. If the flaps may be promptly and safely retracted
without loss of altitude and without sudden changes in attitude, they may be
retracted."

If you increase the chord of the wing a constant percentage you don't change
the lift distribution for a fixed quantity of lift (i.e. airplane weight)
you just decrease the required dynamic pressure to achieve that lift (i.e.
the velocity of air flowing past the wing).  The advantage decreasing stall
speed this way is that all previous calculations and testing regarding the
strength of the spar are still valid because you have not changed the load
distribution on the spar.

--
wesley scott
k...@spottedowl.biz

> Message: 11
> Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 19:57:51 -0500
> From: "Rick Human" <rahu...@ev1.net>
> Subject: Re: KR> Making KR ELSA - rebuttle

> And let's set some facts straight - let's quit misusing the term ELSA - an
> ELSA designation is to be used for kits where the builder performs less
than
> 51% of the assembly - any aircraft built from plans or a 49% kit will be
> registered as an Amateur Built. So a KR would still be an amateur built
but
> if that aircraft can show compliance with the LSA rules it can be flow by
> Sport Pilot or a Private Pilot with a Drivers Lic. rather than a medical.

Message: 21