NetHeads,

You guys are soon going to regret egging me on about the "pilot reports".  I
couldn't fly to my father's farm today because of weather on his end, so the
wife said "I'm sure you can still find someplace else to fly today", so off I
went.  One of the changes I made in the last few days was to make my static
ports flush mounted, with nothing more than a 1/16" hole to the outside world,
so I needed to check my indicated stall speed anyway.   And I needed a little
more shakedown on the new fiberglass spinner front bulkhead.  What better way
than a tour of the airport "neighborhood"?  So I flew down to the Tennessee
river, over the big bridge, and hung a left and flew up river to Guntersville,
Scottsboro, Stevenson, Marion County, Jackson TN, Fayetteville TN, MDQ, and
back to M38.  That's eight airports and 17 landings.

After the first landing at Stevenson, a guy came on the radio and asked "is
that KR pilot Bill Clapp, flying a Corvair?".  I said "no, but if you want to
talk Corvairs, I'll be back in two minutes".  I was just impressed that anybody
in Alabama would even know a KR when he saw one!  The guy was building a
Corvair for a Piet, and had one totally blasted engine that he'd bought first,
then he got super lucky and bought an entire 1965 Corvair with a "new" 1969
engine in it.  This thing looked brand new, and he hadn't even cleaned the
parts yet!  I spent some time bringing him up to speed on stuff like small
block rockers and why he should keep his original ones (which he had
thoughtfully wired into pairs with their balls, even though he was planning on
throwing them away), preserving that pristine crank at all costs, and then
headed on up river to the next stop.

Three of the landings I did were basically tailwheel first, as I was trying to
stretch the bottom of the envelope.  Most observers would call it a three point
landing, but the "boing" noise tells me the tail wheel hit first, and that
always occured at about 63 mph (well, all three times according to the GPS, but
you wouldn't believe me if I told you that). Maybe I can get around to
extending my gear this week and do some comparisons next weekend (another
excuse to fly).  I'm thinking it will lower my three point landing speed a few
mph.  I even flew over Georgia a bit just to say I'd been there, and made it
back home with 289.0 hours on the clock.  Life is good...

Mark Langford, Huntsville, Alabama
see KR2S project N56ML at http://home.hiwaay.net/~langford
email to N56ML "at" hiwaay.net