>From: "Dan Heath" <da...@alltel.net>

>Well, that is surely not impressive.  If I were to enter the Metal LSA
>arena
>  I really think it would be a Sonex.

Well, (see I started the same way you did Dan:-)  (and before the rest of
you say it, Dan and I know nothing we say to each other is meant as a flame
in any manner) I guess I am a little bias in that the technology I have seen
from Van's firsthand is nothing less than spectacular.  They say my R$ has
something like 15K rivets.  I have not had one single prepunched rivet hole
even miniscularly (is that a word) out of alignment with it's mating part.
What you get from Van's, at the price they sell the kits at, is a great
bargain (my opinion).  It is one of the few kits out there that sells for
more than what you put into it.  The 10's are selling for anywhere between
230K and 279K.  Mine is selling for about 1.5 what it's building cost is,
not counting labor.  I brougt a flap to Mark Langford's one visit and
clecoed it together in something like 7 (making the exact time up) minutes.
Turned around and visited Mark Jones with Langford and put together the
instrument panel in 8 (not exactly, but I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn
Express) minutes.

See the video  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfUikuSd694

One thing for certain, the 12 will be a very cost effective build and will
put you in the air in a very reasonable time.  If you read some on the forum
at vansairforce.net it becomes clear that for the LSA certification, on the
sale of the airplane kit, Van's had to list and CG an engine, thus the
choice.  Van himself is not much for modification but you will see people
have already started to push the envelope.  My only opinion is you will get
more airplane than the financial investment you outlay.

Sorry gang, this IS a little more metal than I like to put on the KR list.
Trust me I am not trying to sway anyone to the dark side, just a LSA option
for those seeking that avenue.  Man am I ever going to get flamed off the
list, OH well I told you I was coming out of the flame trench firing:-)

See everyone at the KR Gathering............with new toys.........hum,
wonder what that may be???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfUikuSd694

Dana Overall
1999 & 2000 National KR Gathering host