In  '71 I was east bound at 9500' over the Meteor crator in AZ and
encountered an F4 going the opposite way all I saw was a spot comming fast
and then he was gone.  I reported the incident and about 3 months later I got
a letter of apology from a "Wing Commander @ El Toro MCAS.  They grounded the
dude for 6 months for flying at speeds allowed at the flight level and flying
at the wrong altitude for the direction of travel.

I am sure he had ne on his radar but it sure scared the hell out of me.  He
was probably practicing an interecept or something stupid like that.  Ah the
wild western skies.

Don