Ken:

What you are saying is that it is "Dip Correction" that is the problem and
that I might accept as I can see how it might interfere with the free swing of
the needle, something that I am certain  commercial aircraft compasses have
accomodated by using a more expensive design.  Lets face it the number of
general Aviation craft that would venture far out of their hemisphere would be
few and not worth installing the more expensive compasses.

Don