Thanks for the lesson, Chris. I had no idea there was such thin as a
learned Aussie! ;-)

>From what you say, and considering that the figures are still readable
below the leak (when the blot changes shape, more of the figures show), I
understand that some of the liquid has leaked below the front polarizing
panel.

Oh, well,  as I said, the unit is not ruined. The leak only covers half of
the rightmost figure, so it remains usable. Only annoying.

Serge

"Chris Johnston" <chr...@ozdocs.net.au>

Envoyé par : krnet-boun...@mylist.net
11/08/2006 02:47
Veuillez répondre à KRnet
Remis le : 11/08/2006 02:48

        Pour :  "KRnet" <kr...@mylist.net>
        cc :    (ccc : Serge VIDAL/DNSA/SAGEM)
        Objet : Re: KR> LCD problems

    LCD modules are made up typically of a front polarising panel, a
conductive plane with teh segment images printed on them, the liquid
crystal
material, a electrically common plane, and another polarising plane and a
reflective backplane. If the display is has a two tone image, usually grey

and black with wavy edges, then it is a pretty safe bet that the liquid
has
leaked out and the unit is ruined, usually impact damage causes this
failure. Sometimes due to temperature, usually too cold rather than too
hot,
the display will change color over the whole of the screen, a lot of lcd
material is not freeze proof. The big advantage of lcd 's is that they use

microcosm's of power, ie millionths of an amp, or micro amps, comparitive
solid state led's use around milliamps of power, ie thousandths of an amp,

there fore the lcd modules are used for battery powered application, there

power requirements are so low that even the stray static and capacitive
charges on your fingers is enough to activate the display if touched, so
the
static build up from teh commonly used plastic protective strips on teh
display is also enough to turn the segments on and sometimes keep them
stuck
on, but when the unit is powered up all is well. They sometimes also
multiplex teh display, ie turn each segment on and off in turn at a rate
slighlty greater than about 30 hz, so that if something is turned on and
off
more than about 30 times per second, the persistance of vision of the
human
eye makes it appear to be permanntly on, which saves on more power. And if

you have ever wondered why safety gear is always yellow, its because the
peak optical response of the human eye is around 555 nano metres, ( I
think!! ), ie the colour yellow.

                    Chris Johnston

                    North RICHMOND

                    NSW Australia.