Dana,
        What happened to raise the question was on the way to Va. the
other day the controller had given me the permission and transponder
code, as soon as I started to enter the code I lost transponder
communication - contacted the controller and he reported no return and
stay clear of class B I diverted to go around and also had already
reported for 8500' while the class B ceiling was 7000' I skirted the
class B but was still well within the mode C ring with out it operating.
. I continued to monitor the approach radio and was well aware of the
corridor being used. I just want to find out if I'm in trouble before
someone tells me that with handcuffs.
Joe