That said we should remember that certified aircraft will have a much more

consistent level of QC!

Don

I beg to differ with you. I feel from my experience working around two
different flight schools and having air carrier pilots tell me stories about
what they are having to fly with right now, I believe that the average KR
builder will  perform much better maintenance, and care of his aircraft than
any A&P not required to fly in what he just repaired.  This not meant to be
a flame of A&P's, nor do I want to put down their craft, but I have taken a
close look at ALOT of certified planes and some are down right scary and
they are still considered AIRWORTHY.  I would ride in Mark J's or Mark L's
or Dan Heath's or a number of other KR's MUCH faster than taking a flight in
a random plane off the average rental flight line. Case in point that no one
noticed at Cessna that the tails were loose on ALL the R model C172s until a
Comair Academy CFI killed his mother, fiancé's, and uncle in a crash when
they lost the tail feathers due to the one bolt that holds the entire tail
on was not threaded properly, and so when torqued properly at the factory,
was still not holding tight. No QC person compared the new bolt to the old
bolt on such a critical assembly.  No thank you, but no, I am no believer
that ANY certified plane is safer or better built, or better maintained than
an Experimental. On the contrary I tend to go the other way....

Your opinion may be different....

Colin Rainey
Independent Loan Officer
Branch 2375