From: krnet-boun...@mylist.net [mailto:krnet-boun...@mylist.net]On
Behalf Of Dan Heath
Sent: Sunday, October 01, 2006 6:55 PM
To: kr...@mylist.net
Subject: KR> Third flight of the Black Bird

Mark J. Sorry to hear the bad news, but really glad to read the you and your
plane were not hurt.

I got a chance to put 9 tenths on the plane today and test the second
iteration of the fixed trim tab. It now requires only a small amount of
additional trim to fly level, so I will keep it like that to test with
passenger weight. The little Mercury mirror motor servo is working perfectly
 So now I just need to determine how long it will last. I was able to take
these pictures without having to hold the stick. What a plane!

With the plane trimmed, it will fly hands off. If I put it in a turn, it
will stay there, in a climb, it will stay there. This is a rock solid plane.

After flying in the area for a little while, James came up to join me and we
decided to go to Orangeburg so I could get some practice landing.  The wind
was on my tail for the only runway that I am allowed to take of on, at Owens
 and was a bit of a quartering crosswind at around 5.  I don't have the
restrictions at Orangeburg and they have crossing runways.  James asked me
to increase the speed so I went from the 2600 RPM, to 3000 and after a short
while,  started to see the OT climb and when it got to 215, I decided that
we needed to head back.  When I returned to 2600 RPM, the OT went back down
and all was well, other than another really rough landing.

Matt just happened to fly in, in a King Air, and the pilot, Matt, James, and
I all decided that the high OT is because it is not getting enough of all
that air, through the oil cooler.  We talked about ways to force more air in
that direction, but I was wondering if the NACA ducts, turned around
backwards, will SUCK air.  If so, I could put a couple of NACA ducts on the
bottom of the cowl and suck the air through air duct, instead of having to
force air into the cooler.

Any ideas?  Current view of the air baffling is at: http://krbuilder
org/FirewallForward/index.html , just a couple of thumbs down.

Pics from the third flight are included in: http://krbuilder
org/BlackBirdFlights/index.html

Thanks in advance for your input on the cooling thing.

See N64KR at http://KRBuilder.org - Then click on the pics
See you at the 2007 - KR Gathering
There is a time for building and a time for FLYING and the time for Flying
has begun.
Daniel R. Heath - Lexington, SC