OZ wrote:

> Looks like the old classic "...there I was, flat on my back at 10,000
> feet..." type of picture to me.

That's pretty close, except we were on our noses.  Glenda was getting a
"familiarization" ride, and asked what speed it stalled at.  I said "it
falls out of the sky at 80 IAS (about 60 mph TAS) with flaps up", and
finished explaining whatever it was we were talking about before that.  It
became apparent that she was climbing to do a stall, but I wasn't really
concerned because she's an instructor and excellent pilot, so I barely took
notice.  I think I was in the middle of a sentence when the thing broke
loose and headed straight for the ground, still at about 3200 rpm.  That's
known as an "accelerated stall", and we were headed for the ground under
almost full power.  I couldn't believe how quick we went from just flying
along to pulling negative g's and headed straight down.

The picture is where I was explaining that we were pulled up against the
seat belts by the negative g's while I had to reach toward the corn fields
to pull the throttle back out.  The stall happened so fast that we lost our
headsets, and everything in the cabin (cameras, junk from in back, etc) was
flying all over.  Loosing the headset made the sound level fairly deafening,
and added to the shock value.  I "gradually" pulled out of the dive (to keep
from tearing the wings off), and noted we'd lost 1000' in about 5 seconds.
I looked over at Glenda with a "what the hell's going on look", and she held
the passenger stick up and showed it to me.  That stick doesn't have a pin
in it (yet) and when she tried to recover from the stall it came out in her
hand!  So basically we did a stall that nobody recovered from, and were
headed for a quick spin.  I've done a "full stall" like that 3 other times,
but only once was I at that high throttle setting, never with that kind of
weight in the plane, and always with nothing loose in the cockpit.  It was
quite exciting, and it took me several minutes to calm down from the whole
affair.

References to oil "staying IN the engine" are because the negative g's
forced about a quart of oil out of the breather where it ended up all over
the engine and then the fuselage.  This was right after I'd been bragging
that I'd put 15 hours on the engine and not one drop had leaked out of the
new breather (see http://home.hiwaay.net/~langford/corvair/breather/ for
details).   I've remedied that now by adding a layer of that open pore green
foam that lawn mower air filters are made of, cut from a Bugpack VW air
filter sock.  I guess now I'll have to test it under negative g's again.

Definitely a memorable Gathering for me!  Let the record show that it's not
Glenda's fault that I didn't have that stick pinned where she could make use
of it...

Mark Langford, Huntsville, Alabama
see KR2S project N56ML at http://home.hiwaay.net/~langford
email to N56ML "at" hiwaay.net