Wow Bill that was some kind of day! But it was good to hear that you, and the
sailplane Pilot are OK. As for the KR don't feel bad I had a hanger fall down
on mine and in spite of the damage I know see will fly again.
 Now for my views on the engine. As a fellow pilot and, an A&P I think you
should get a new engine and let the Insurance pay for it. Reasons for this is :
1  To try to fly with the engine as it is you are asking for possible engine
failure in flight. 2  His Insurance will pay for it. 3  With a new engine means
more play time in the air.
 Now it does sound like she will be down for some time. So if a new engine is
not easily obtained, Tare the old engine down, and get the crank inspected.
 Remember, Better safe than sorry.
Be safe and keep looking up
   Ferris Mcgee