Good theory, but I don't think I can subscribe as I fouled one cylinder
on the way to the gathering a few weeks ago and yes I knew that something
was not right from roughness, as far as a major power loss that just did
not happen. I don't believe I lost more that a few hundred rpm and
certainly could have sustained flight if I would not have been landing at
the time anyway. One push of the button on the EIS confirmed that the #2
cylinder was completely cold. Exhaust temp was about 400 and head temp
was rapidly dropping well below 200.  I was not worried in that it was
producing plenty of power even for a go around if needed but I didn't
like it either. In my case i had reduced throttle and caused a rich
condition that actually seemed to flood the # 2 cylinder that I caused by
miss using the mixture in the much colder weather conditions after
summer. I was able to reproduce this condition in cruise and quickly
learned how to manage it. After getting back home I readjusted the Aero
carb for winter mixture and the problem is gone.
        No help for Mark here just an example how many different things
could happen.
Joe Horton, Coopersburg, PA.
joe.kr2s.buil...@juno.com