I don't take myself as being any kind of expert on the subject of aerodynamics
but I've been around for a bit asking dumb questions when I've had the
opportunity to pick brains of knowledgeable people and maybe this will stir the
cauldron and get a response from some of the wizards that subscribe to this
line. It has been my understanding that cutting the trailing edge blunt allows
a plenum chamber effect that allows the upper surface low pressure fast moving
slip stream to mix better with the high pressure slow slipstream from the
bottom surface and produces a less tubulent wake field if only maginally and
less induced drag. Go ahead guys inform me of the error of my ways. Don C John
Bouyea <john...@speakeasy.net> wrote:  I have a question about the thickness of
the tailing edge section. This
photo of Richard Shirley's trailing edge shows a blunt profile.
http://www.bouyea.net/gathering2004/P1002293.jpg

The Cirrus people told me this is done to improve the feel at higher rates
of speed. (Interestingly, both Cirrus and Richard have aluminum ailerons.)
Most of the KRs I have seen have very thin (i.e. sharp) trailing edge
sections.

Does anyone know definitively about what this type of change might do to the
standard RAF airfoil?

John Bouyea

KR2/ Hillsboro, Oregon

http://www.bouyea.net