From: "rhartwi...@juno.com" <rhartwi...@juno.com>
To: kr...@yahoo.com
Sent: Sunday, November 5, 2006 6:09:38 AM
Subject: Doug Fir

Mike,
The wood should be sawed or planed to final dimension.  I use a smooth
cut planer blade in my table saw (the blade has steel teeth rather than
carbide.)  Sanding makes for poor glue joints.  If you have not done
aircraft woodwork before, I highly recommend that you purchase the
Aircraft Woodworking book from the EAA.  The only sanding that you need
to do is to lightly scuff plywood prior to gluing.  This is to remove
contamination that occurs at the factory from the laminating press.  Your
Douglas Fir should not be sanded prior to gluing.  Save sanding for the
pieces that will show in the cockpit on the completed aircraft.
Rich Hartwig
Waunakee, WI
rhartwi...@juno.com