On Tue, 7 Nov 2006 16:46:26 +1100 "Martindale Family"
<johnja...@optusnet.com.au> writes:
> Good news Joe, a little baffling goes a long way and the fact it has
> markedly altered things means you are on the right track in my
> remote down under view. A couple of things:
>
>   a.. Make sure no bits of metal will come off that tornado thing.
>   b.. Has it reduced your max MP at all.
>   c.. Check out the EGTs at various throttle settings.
> Those EGTs seem pretty close now which ought to mean the mixtures
> are close also.....maybe as good as you will get. Interesting that
> your lowest and highest are in #4 and #6, ie., next to each other on
> the same side.

        I may very well make a new splitter for the back of the carb over
the winter. But if the results so far prove out i have other things
higher on the priority list.
        The #4 and #6 I am thinking that #4 is simply taking the little
extra fuel because it is physically closer to the source  and it is
robbing the # 6 of just a little bit. I think it is a very little bit of
difference.
           MP is something that i don't have an instrument for. The only
thing that i can say is the rpm in climb at 80 mph indicated (this is
what I always try to hold) has increased  by 10 to 20 rpm. It was 2990
rpm last night. And cruise has increased the rpm also by the same amount.
3350 to 3360 was tops and last night it toped out at 3380 rpm. One thing
to note is I can feel (call it seat of the pants )the change in the
engine as it leans out. I have not found the max lean temps yet. I will
be continuing to check temps and settings over a set range of rpm's and
let you guys know weather you want to know or not.
        One other observation is that taking information to early in a
flight is not completely accurate, It seems to take about 20 min of
flying for everything to stabilize on what will be the operating temps
for that flight
        Still i have a good feeling about this simple mod and my
confidence level in maintaining and understanding my engines health has
jumped to a different level
Joe Horton, Coopersburg, PA.
joe.kr2s.buil...@juno.com