It's an interesting comment and there is much truth in it.  I can't speak
for the KR-2S Plans since I built a KR-2; but when I was building it was
virtually impossible to build a KR-2 exactly to the plans.  There were
several gray areas, and quite a few down-right mistakes in the plans.  The
plans were difficult enough to interpret that only the builders with a fair
amount of Engineering skill and a strong desire to fly, ever completed them.
And we all know Engineers can not leave well enough alone.  I beleave
someone commented that builders who stuck closely to the plans were most
likely to suceed and I agree.  I've found you can plan on a task taking a
minimum of three times longer if you don't have plans to follow. I really
admire guys like Mark L. who have made so many changes yet have still
completed and flown their KRs. They are a rair breed indeed, as many people
that deviate significantly from the plans lose confidence and drop, or sell
the project to someone else.  Non-Flying KR PROJECTS that have deviated
significantly from the plans are difficult to sell and are often scrapped
instead.  I think you will find that the vast majority of FLYING KR's were
built pretty close to the plans.  When Ken Rand first built the KR1 the VW
was still a very experimental engine.  He used to claim that he had more
glider time in a KR1 than powered flight time.  Since he was using junkyard
engines I'm surprised he had any powered flight time at all.  Since then
much has been learned about aero VW conversions and the engine is quite safe
if built correctly.  Im sure that Corvair engines will also reach that
reliability.  In conclusion the basic KR design is far more reliable than
many of the "improvements" that we make and most of our PROBLEMS are 100%
OUR fault. From my own  perspective, an improvement has to not only improve
relaibility, but must also weigh LESS than the original design. Needless to
say I haven't made very many improvements.
Just my view.
Thanks