Over the years, I have flown in cold temps (14f or -10c), or colder, in the
clouds and as long as engine and guages are properly preheated , the
airplane runs very well.   I always keep some power to the engine to keep
the cabin from getting too cold on descent, I have heard about shock
cooling, but believe that with a normally aspirated engine, that this is an
old wives tale.   I am not sure how well a plastic airplane would do, but I
know that most auto plastics, including fibreglass cars handle cold well.
That being said, ice chunks will typically crack plastic parts if they are
struck with any force.  Winter flying is great, airplane and engine
performance is better then than any other time, but crosswinds may tend to
be much higher.

Fly safe, fly often.
Tony Wright