Here's a PDF file that does just that, gives you a selection and test
methodology for the non-certified wood that you use in your project.

http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/UEP5RcRYnIYwgM31-UmspXnpzXSACpMccoQgrDp9Uu1qDMgymUiKC-4JXir34SzdezeIxQpOdzPeNtENwWQWwg/testing_wood.pdf

  Denny ...

Ron Butterfield <ron.butterfi...@gmail.com> wrote:
  On 3/15/07, Darren Crompton wrote:
> I am ready to order my timber and being on a very tight budget, I am
> seriously considering douglas fir as an alternative to spruce.

On http://krnet.org/ there is a link to the old paper KR newsletters,
downloadable in pdf. Many years ago a gentleman documented just such a
substitution, along with a test jig to make sure your wood matched
your calculations.

--
Regards,
RonB