Hi all.

Today is the day after I went to the Avalon Airshow and I am here in front
of my computer eating Vegemite on toast for breakfast.  Surprisingly, my
face is a little sunburned even though we had cool temperatures (20c/68f),
occasional rain showers and cool fronts moving through all day.  This was my
4th airshow but my first as viewed through the eyes of a builder.  Sure we
checked out the the military and airline aircraft, but this year we spent
most of our time out the back with the light and sports aircraft.  We had a
better appreciation for the finer details like tail wheel designs and
aileron placement and various methods of flap design and construction.  I am
sure some onlookers thought us strange when taking close up photos of rudder
hinges or an old magneto setup on a Volkswagen engine.
We met Phil Matheson who was a wealth of information and an all round great
guy.  Thanks Phil.  We also met some guys from South Australia who had flown
their Sonerais in for the show.  They were only too happy to chat about
their aircraft and the KRs with which they were familiar.  Taking us behind
the roped off area to check out their aircraft in detail, showed there was
absolutely no rivalry there.  They both had Great Plains 2180 VW engines and
absolutely swore by them.  So I think my engine choice has been made.  I
knew my viewpoint had changed when whilst talking the Sonerai guys we paused
chatting only when the F18s flew by because of the noise, but didn't looked
up.

Bumped into a retired pilot who I hadn't seen in 18 years.  (Just as well as
we used his marquee to shelter from the rain at times)  He is very big into
the gliding scene and owns shares in 5 gliders.  Interesting, he told us
that his gliding club owns an old timber and fabric glider which members can
use for FREE.  $10 for a ground launch or $30 for an aircraft tow and you
can fly it all day if you want.  He also explained that a percentage of
hours flown in the glider can go towards your (powered) pilots license.  I
think it was 3:1 but will need to look into it further.  So anyone in
Victoria who would like to go gliding at no cost but for the launch should
get in touch with the Bendigo Gliding Club.
http://www.bendigogliding.org.au/Main/HomePage

As you can tell we had a great time and met some great folks.  Just wish the
airshow was on every year instead of every second.

Pull my finger out and I may be able to fly in for the next show in 2009!

Cheers

Darren Crompton
AUSTRALIA