From: krnet-boun...@mylist.net [mailto:krnet-boun...@mylist.net]On
Behalf Of Harold Woods
Sent: Thursday, May 17, 2007 10:59 AM
To: kr...@mylist.net
Subject: KR> acetone in epoxy mixes

Hi Netters.
There was a mention of cleaning the last of resins out of their containers
and using the remains for laminating. Acetone will thin a thick epoxy. But
ask yourself, what happens to the acetone after the epoxy hardens? It will
diffuse out into the air over a period of time leaving the epoxy with empty
spaces in it. It is then slightly porous and cannot be quite as strong. It
also will now be porous to water and water vapour.
Keep acetone and epoxy mixes off you skin. The acetone will penetrate your
skin very easily, carrying the epoxy with it into your blood stream. You
would be asking for allergy reactions or worse still cancerous starts.
Always wear the blue Tyvec gloves when working with liquid epoxy.  Pure
acetone should not really bother you as it can be produced in the body , it
is a good dissolver of many things but is excellent for starting old tired
lawn mowers.
Regards
Harold Woods
Orillia, ON. Canada