How do those idea sound to my fellow netters,

Glenn Martin

Glenn, I am with Mark L, lots of time and weight. Sounds like you need to find
some honeycomb cores for your wings if you want to go to this much trouble. The
honeycomb would accomplish both things for you. The best preference for you in
my opinion would be to use 3/16th or 1/4th thick Divinycell foam cores for your
wing surfaces. It is light weight, has very high shear strength, and
compressive strength compared to urethane foam. You could put a layer of cloth
on the interior surface of it but you don't really need to do that with
Divinycell foam. I have mentioned this before. I took a piece of urethane foam,
Home Depot foam that some have used, and a piece of Divinycell foam that I have
used building a Long Eze and a Defiant. I laid up a single layer of
bidirectional cloth on all three. The urethane and HomeDepot insulation rigid
foam both are extremely weak in shear strength. I was able to take a hold of
the edge of the cured glass cloth and rip it
 right off of the foam with no effort at all. I could not tear the cloth off of
the Divinycell foam. The difference in the 3 is MASSIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It does cost more to purchase Divinycell foam as compared to urethane but it
will also cost a lot of money for the carbon fibre you are talking about laying
down in the V-grooves.
If you are so inclined to try Divinycell as a core for your wing surfaces,
Divinycell's HT series was developed for aircraft cores. You could choose their
HT50 which is 3.1 lb/ft3.. It has a 100psi compressive strength, 73 psi shear
strength etc.
You may have figured out by now that I am a huge fan of Divinycell foams. I
have used and tested a lot of different kinds of foams in an attempt to find a
cheap strong foam but I have given up and submitted to Divinycell, there just
is Nothing better right now!!
Get a small piece and test it for yourself as compared to other types of foam
then you will agree with me.
Just my opinion of course.
Larry H.