Thanks for the help see additional question following...

Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: Barry Kruyssen <k...@bigpond.com>
Subject: RE: KR> Mold layup

Hi Steve

 When making my molds (and I have been making molds since the early 70's) I
do the following:

4.    Cover with a very generous coat of gel coat especially thick in
corners and tight spots.

Is this a polyester resin gel coat?

5.    Lay up with 2 layers of 15oz or heavier chopped strand fibreglass
(cheap stuff) using polyester resign (again cheap stuff but very rigid,
epoxy is very flexible in comparison and we want the mold rigid).  The other
advantage of polyester is it cures fast.  Remember that if the polyester
sets you have to grind of the surface to stick to it again as the surface
will have a wax coating once cured.

When laying up parts in a mold I only use gel coat if the part is not being
painted Gel coat is heavy, very heavy. Else I lay up as follows:

Good point!

6.    Instead of get coat I mix up some epoxy resin with filler thin enough
to paint on but thick enough not to run down the sides and paint the mold
and let cure to very tacky, almost touch dry.  Constant touching up may be
required to stop big runs while it is curing.  This coat is fairly thin and
reduces (by an enormous amount) the pin holes in your finished product and
also gives you a very smooth finish which requires only a light sand and
painting.

Do you use a brush or a roller?

original question from steve

I picked up a cowling from Glenn in Biloxi to use to make a mold for mine.?
I was wondering the lay up process.? I know wax three or four times then
spray on release agent I have some PVA (I think if its not old).? Questions
are: How many layers of cloth to make the mold? and how many layers to use
on the final cowling? Of course I have 5.85oz KR glass and epoxy.? I really
appreciate the use of the cowling and would like to return it as soon a
possible.? I put it on my plane for fit check. Boy did it fire me up to
finish the thing.

Steve Phillabaum