The state of Michigan tried that game with me but said $20K in 1992. I
asked where they got that number, and the appraiser said he pulled it
out of his butt. So I  countered that this plane can never be sold as it
would represent a Liability to my family possibly in the millions of
dollars, so in point of fact the only dollar value he could assign to it
was the actual cost of materials. They conceded this fact and that is
what I paid "use tax" on, for the items I bough w/o paying Michigan
sales tax. They are not trying to milk me every year for these taxes,
but a one time tax.

Good luck, and vote in new law makers.

--dave