Andy,
I think you misunderstand the intent of the homebuilt rule.  You can get
outside help, but you must personally provide the labor on your
experimental aircraft to construct the majority of that aircraft.  This
is the so-called 51-percent rule.  This is one of the reasons for having
a builder's log; you need to provide evidence that you were the builder
or that you purchased the unfinished aircraft from another home builder.
Hiring outside help, in and of itself, is not illegal; certifying on the
FAA application form that all that labor was yours, when in fact it was
not, is illegal.

Suggest you contact your local FAA Flight Safety District Office (FSDO)
if you have questions on the 51-percent rule.  They will eventually have
the final say on your airworthiness application.

Sid Wood
Tri-gear KR-2 N6242
Mechanicsville, MD, USA
sidney.w...@l-3com.com