From: Barry Kruyssen <k...@bigpond.com>
To: 'KRnet' <kr...@mylist.net>
Sent: Wed, 4 Feb 2009 3:31 am
Subject: RE: KR> engine out take off

Joe raises a very important point here "keep the wing flying".

As a glider instructor we teach/practice launch failures a lot.  The
most
important thing is to get the nose down and maintain a safe speed near
the
ground (1.5 X stall speed). Winch launches are truly exhilarating as
you can
have around a 45 degree angle of attack (if you have never done a winch
launch find a club near you and go for the ride of you life, also ask
for
spin training :-).  During winch launches cable breaks are common and
getting the nose down is life saving.

Before you take off you should know what your options are.  Once you
get to
your safe flying speed then you can re-evaluate your options.  Just
remember
that more injuries have occurred from turning back rather than landing
ahead
(so I'm told).

Check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqN3ixDFW8c
And http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFT1K1rQvHA
Or search YouTube for "winch launch glider cable break"

Regards
Barry Kruyssen
k...@bigpond.com