I land at Moontown and at my father's farm on a grass strip on stock Diehl
gear all the time, and it is simply not a problem at all.  But like Sid
said, "how bumpy is bumpy?"  I've landed at Brodhead (the Pietenpol mecca)
and swore I'd never do it again, but the Piet guys might feel the same way.
Last time I left there, Joe Horton left right in front of me (with TRI-gear
and Diehl mains), and on the way out he said something like "Mark, check for
any parts I may have left behind on takeoff, because I'm pretty sure I left
some back there!".   That was not a good field for a plane that lands at
50-60 mph, I don't care what kind of gear it has.  Other than that one, I've
landed on a bunch of them, and didn't think much about it.  That gear is
good for 5.5 g's for a thousand pound airplane, if that helps.  The problem
is that the stuff they're made from comes in 24" wide sheets (or perhaps
48", such that 24" is the most efficient use of the material), so you'll
need to source something longer if you want to make those legs longer.  It's
been done though, with great sucess.  Others with grass field experience are
welcome to chime in ...

Mark Langford
N56ML "at" hiwaay.net
website at http://www.N56ML.com