Robin,
Drilling a hole in the gas spring will produce an oil shower depending
on which end you go for.  The oil is for damping, so you can get a
smooth, controlled steady movement.  Proper operation depends on which
end is up.  Welding will most likely destroy the elastic seals.
A better approach is to get the gas springs sized for your application.
The gas springs are rated in pounds force at full rod retraction. How
much PSI that turns out to be is not of any concern.  As the rod
extends, the force will steadily diminish until it hits the stop; the
force should never go to zero before hitting the stop.  You should take
advantage of this characteristic by setting up the geometry between the
canopy hinge and maximum extension and retraction of the gas springs.  I
used two each gas springs rated at 20 pounds each. (No, my canopy does
not weigh 40 pounds.)
http://www.guden.com/ItemDisplay/displayItem-GGS48-020-K.aspx I had to
experiment with the mounting points for the gas springs to get the full
canopy open position and still balance the full weight of the canopy at
about 3-inches open at the aft edge.  At closer than 3-inches the
geometry starts to go over center and the gas springs start to push the
canopy down.  That's so the canopy will stay shut sitting on the ramp
without having to latch it.
As Larry often says: "Your results may vary."

Sid Wood
Tri-gear KR-2 N6242
Mechanicsville,MD,USA
sidney.w...@l-3com.com

>I want to use gas struts for the canopy, I have 2 but the pressure is
too high. Apparenty you can increase the pressure but most struts you
cannot reduce the pressure. With the struts that you can reduce the
presure there is a valve in one end but these do not have the valve.

I am thinking of drilling  hole & welding in a valve from a vehicle tube
has anyone out there tried this & how did you get on.  I only want about
10 -20 PSI.

Many thanks
Robin
New Zealand.