OK guys..heres the latest update:
    I'm now aware that learning and retaining things is MUCH harder at
50 years old ( As of next Monday. Remember: cash in leu of gifts..or a
new prop.) Anyhow, that being the case, I set up Microsoft Flight
Simulator X on a dedicated computer so I could get as much practice as I
can. I am flying a virtual C172 out of the Virtual Diamondhead, MS
airport (66Y).

    I have done this a few times:
       Takeoff from runway 36...climb upwind leg to 700ft , maintaining
heading. Watched runway disappear from straight behind the plane
       Enter crosswind west (270) at 700ft and climb to TPA at 1000ft
       Cuss at the computer because I overshot my target altitude by
100ft (AGAIN)
       Cuss at the computer because I undershot my crosswind heading by
10 degrees (again)
       Trim 172 to straight and level
       Cuss at simulator for always overshooting the trim I want (are we
sensing a PATTERN here?)
       Turn South to heading 180 in order to enter downwind leg of the
traffic pattern at somewhere around 1075 feet

       STARE IN AMAZEMENT AT 66Y RW 18 DUE SOUTHWEST OF MY CURRENT
POSITION (Every time guys!!!No kidding!)

       Cuss at Bill Gates just on general principal (AGAIN). Ya gotta
love those developers at Microsoft..what a bunch of kidders!!!! (AAAARGH)

       I think Microsoft flight simulator X actually refers to the X-FILES

       Or maybe the Twilight Zone is a better fit.

       So I got pissed and (Virtually)  buzzed the house a friend who
lives out at the airport, then crashed that trashy172 into a cyber tree
in his cyber front yard! I            think he's a little cyber PISSED
at me for doing that! Oh well..any landing you walk away from huh?

       Obviously you guy don't want me drinking any root beer with ya..LOL

       10 hours of flight training so far. My CFI keeps bringing a
parachute with him, is that a bad sign?

       Glenn Martin
       KR2 N1333A
       Biloxi, Ms

       P.S. X-Plane 9 is a pretty terrific simulator, much better than
that Microsoft trash.