I continually get private emails from KRNet members concerning my use of glass
panel technology in my current airplane.  I thought it might be educational to
post a public message addressing the current state of glass panel for use in
KR's.  I upgraded my panel when I had to do the rebuild after the jump school
airplane ran over my RV.  The advancement of glass panel technology took giant
leaps in just the last couple of years.  I am using the Grand Rapids Technology
HX flat screen with synthetic vision and high def screen.  Although a little
pricey, and more suited for IFR flight, it is incredible to me just what is in
that little box.  I have AOA, Hightway in the Sky, Flight Directer, sythetic
approach along with 3D synthetic vision, weather and terrain with an interal
artificial GPS couple externally to my Garmin 430 and autopilot.  I can pretty
much run the entire airplane from that one flat panel primary flight display.
This technology is well under 10K and can be seen in the following youtube
videos.  I have a back up flat panel along with a main buss, battery buss and
an essential buss along with internal battery backup on fone flat panel EFIS.
I opted to go no heavy steam guages, no vac.  Joe and Mark stopped by my place
not too long ago.  I tried to spend some of there money by showing them the
flat stuff:-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uu1Pqa1409Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8SID85-BQk&feature=related

There are two companies offering flat panel display which would be well suited
for the KR.  Dynon is coming out with there syntetic vision but are still
offering the D10A or their Flight Deck version which you could have split
screen EFIS and engine monitering.  For VFR flight you are looking at one
instrument giving you a world of information.  Highly recommended you look at
Dynon for KR needs.

http://www.dynonavionics.com/docs/news_technology_preview.html

The new kid on the block, which a lot of RV'er are using is MGL.  They offer a
wide range of flat panel with internal GPS and radio built right in.  I have a
friend who just got his, I'll report back what he has in it money wise.
Meanwhile, check them out at   http://www.mglavionics.co.za/  the newest on is
the Odyssey.

Point here is for VFR flight, you could easy and affordably put flat panel
display in a KR that would be reliable, light weight and have a pleathera of
information at your hands.  Pretty nice combination in my book.

Dana Overall

1999 & 2000 National KR Gathering host
Richmond, KY i39

RV-7 slider "Black Magic"
Flying..well sorta, useta, kinda
Barrett Precision O 360 A1A
Hartzell C2YR-1BFP/F7497-2
http://rvflying.tripod.com/blackmagic.jpg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMi05-WU2D0#GU5U2spHI_4
http://rvflying.tripod.com

do not archive

HotmailĀ® is up to 70% faster. Now good news travels really fast.