My engine has been completely rebuilt.  New VW heads, 94MM cylinders,
straight cam gear, all new bearings, new rods and pistons.  I ran it for the
first time on Monday, and was very depressed, after having done all that
work and spent a gob of money, only to have an engine that was still
sputtering and not idling well either.  So, I told my sob story to a couple
of very good engine gusy, one a local VW expert, and the other, Roy
Szarafinski, of Corvair fame and the one who is building my Corvair engine
with the Roy's Garage front bearing.

They both told me that if, when you throttle back, it backfires, then it is
too lean, and if it stumbles, it is too rich.  Well, as I said, it was
stumbling all over the place.  So today, I re-set the mixture and did some
runs.  The engine now has a very smooth acceleration, will idle fairly
smooth at 800rpm, and has no stumbles when throttling back.  It also has NO
oil leaks.

I still don't see any more than 3400 static, but I think that after it is
run in, it will get a better idle and more top RPM.

So, within two days, I have gone from down in the dumps, to on top of the
world, metaphorically speaking.  After I button up a couple of things and
get the cowling on, I will take off and see if I can find the top of the
world.

Daniel R. Heath

da...@windstream.net

See N64KR at  <http://krbuilder.org/> http://KRBuilder.org - Then click on