Sorry about the rant.  I get these fits.  Participants are doing much
better at not re-posting than it used to be.

************

Dan said,

> "Then he sold it to Gene who put a new hour
meter in it and it has accumulated 1850 hours from several tach/hour
meters
since then."

There's an hour meter built in to the Tiny Tach.  For most of its life my
KR has used this device to record hours.  Almost exactly a year ago I
bought a new Datcon at a hangar sale and put it in the turtledeck shelf.
Now a year later, the Datcon is showing about eleven hours more than the
TT.  The TT only comes on when the electronic ignition is turned on, so
it would seem to be the more accurate device for measuring the time the
aircraft is actually in use.  The Datcon comes on whenever the master is
turned on.

In the last year the Datcon is showing 12% more time than the TT shows.
That makes sense since May a year ago I've put landing and taxi lights
in, installed three of Steve's strobe kits, decked out all the necessary
panel instruments with lighting for night flying, put in a back-up
electrical system to drive a fuel pump and the TruTrak ADI, replaced the
AutoZone tractor battery with a 35 Ah AGM - a lot of electrical stuff.
Master switch was on a lot.  So it's easy to see why the Davcon is
reading high.

The Tiny Tach, BTW, is extremely accurate in measuring RPM.  The DynaVibe
is a great tach checker.  It's a free service people get when I balance
their props.  Mechanical tachs in certified aircraft are often off
100-200 (usually low) RPM or more at the top end.  Anyway, I'm just
assuming the TT is equally as accurate in measuring time.  I haven't
checked it against a watch.  It shows only hours, not portions of an
hour.  Next time I'm on a long trip and I notice the increment in the TT,
I'll start a timer and watch it.

The idea I started this response with is that unless the hour meter is
activated by oil pressure, there's no telling with Old Blue's long
history what kind of meter(s) have been used to accmulate the time.  TT,
whatever it is determined to be, could easily be 10-15% off.

Thanks for everyones' taking an interest in this question.  I'm sure
there are a lot of old certified aircraft sitting on ramps and in hangers
all over the country that only have 1500 Total Time, so perhaps the KR
average is just typical.  I'm going to start noticing age of plane and
total times more whenever I'm browsing Barnstormers or TAP.

Mike
Let great B to B marketing solutions propel your brand to new heights! Click
now!
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/BLSrjpTMPaChayT10sy3CNnXjodZ2p1gS6m2LpNRyTQJLQ48VEylbhpMkM4/