Some time back I sent this e-mail to the corvair group, and did not get much
help. Since joining the KR-net, I have seen questions about the kr 2 being made
into an LS. I?ve added a little more after the original.
A few questions to you vairheads & kr2s builders. What part of the corvair is
considered the front? My installation has distributer just behind the prop. My
starter is located in rear. If I wanted to install a thrust bearing (or a 5th
bearing?) would my front be normal? Approx. How much would the type that can be
installed without a complete engine tear down cost? I don?t relish the idea of
a tear down, or swapping ends with the engine, since I already have prop, hub,
spinner, etc. in place.
Since my plane has a lot of damage from being stored in my father-in-law?s
barn, and his having to move it out while my wife was in the hospital, trying
to pull it out by tying a rope around the rudder, and damaging the wings in
several places.
Since I will have a lot of repairing and rebuilding, I would like some
suggestions on rebuilding out portions of wings, using an airfoil to slow plane
down to qualify as a sport plane, sport pilot type. And possibly increase load
carrying capacity? Since both my sons and I am getting a little past the
standard 170lb pilot weight, it would be nice If a couple of us could fly at a
time? I did make the rudder and elevators a little larger than plans show, so
hopefully there would not be to much a problem with rearward center of gravity.
Am I just day dreaming a little to much? I?m 75, and sons are 50 and 48. We
would have to go on starvation diets for each to lose 20lbs each!
Tom Garner
2155 Neelys Bend Road
Madison, TN 37116 (part of Metro Nashville, TN)

615- 865-2622 Reply by direct e-mail would be ok.
Some of the corvair people laughed and joked about my set up by asking if I did
not know the difference between a VW and a corvair? I was licensed as a private
pilot in 1972. I joined the EAA in 1974. I built the plane as a modified kr-2,
making it longer and deeper, as it turned out it is for all practical reasons
is the same as a kr-2s. I based my engine set up on an article that said the
bearing on my front end was a thrust bearing, as the corvair was basically a
modified copy of aircraft engine. I let my eaa member ship go around 2002, yet
have just rejoined, so I can take advantage of looking up articles on the
internet. In trying to find these articles in my old sport aviation, I came
across Mark Lankford?s article in July 2001 issue of sport aviation. Was there
a follow up artical on the success of the air foil? My guess it was to make
plane more stable, or faster? Some have stated there is no reason to make an
lsa of a kr-2, it does not make since? Well I inherited my dad?s type II
diabetes. My youngest son inherited it from me. We both have private
certificates, but have not renewed the health certificates, nor have we been
turned down.
The eaa rep. tells me it is possible to get the certificate, jumping through
some hoops? Why try if
an lsa was available to us with new airfoil wings with more lift, more drag,
that would raise the gross weight and slow the thing down? We just want to fly,
not set a speed record. Thanks Tom