From: Mark Langford <n5...@hiwaay.net>
To: KRnet <kr...@mylist.net>
Sent: Sunday, June 14, 2009 3:31:09 PM
Subject: Re: KR> Ad on Auxiliary tanks

Mike Sylvester wrote:

> I once saw a Europa with a red 5 gallon  plastic boat tank behind the
> pilots seat. If the plane is already built this seems like a quick fix for
> the fuel issue.<

Mike,

I saw a Dragonfly with exactly what you describe on the right seat...a
homebuilt 10 gallon tank that conformed to the seat perfectly, had it's own
fuel pump attached, and used outboard motor quick disconnects to connect up
to the existing system.

For new builders, you can put 12 gallons in each stub wing, resulting in 24
gallons.  At my average of less than 4 gph doing over 150 mph true airspeed,
that's 5 hours of flying right there. Many have built their fuel tanks into
the outer wings, and theres a lot more room out there for even more fuel.

I hate to come down from 10,500' as much as anybody.  I'm looking to add
about four more gallons in the form of a cylindrical 4" aluminum irrigation
tube in the passenger's side outer wing, giving me a total of 20 gallons.
That would get me to OSH nonstop, 634 miles, which is four hours of flying,
or 16 gallons burned with an hour's reserve.  And I'd be able to burn auto
fuel all the way to OSH and save money on buying 100LL, even if I just
stopped somewhere for a "bio break" on the way..  But the main reason I want
the extra fuel is so I can fly down to my father's farm and back without a
trip to the local gas station for fuel every time.

Mark Langford
N56ML "at" hiwaay.net
website at http://www.N56ML.com