"This is an obvious attempt at humor or Mike is smoking something.  An
R-985
on a KR 2?  Yea, right."

I didn't even think about the humor angle Larry and I hope you are
right. I will never believe that my Sube will ever cause a torque issue
as the vast majority of my trailing edges is made up of aileron. But I
will say that anyone putting more than 130 HP into a KR should really
rethink it. Blasphemy I know cause you can never have to much power! But
in my opinion you are beginning to exceed the power that the airframe
can effectivly use. Going to more power is only going to increase your
climb and fuel burn. Your increase in speed is not going to be
significant.

Now as far as Subes being more efficient or economical than Vairs you
need to try to compare apples to apples. If you are talking about a
stock direct drive Subaru (not common) compared to a stock direct drive
Corvair (common) I would say the Corvair would win out on the horse
power, but much more importantly the torque value. Nothing wrong with
the Sube it is just a fundamental design issue. The smaller displacement
Sube was designed to create its power at a higher RPM outside the range
of efficiency for aircraft propellers.

This is why most but not all Subes use redrives. They allow the engine
to generate its power at its rated RPM and the redrive allows the prop
to operate in the range that it needs to. Now your power goes up, but so
does your fuel burn but again and much more importantly your torque goes
way up depending on your redrive ratio. There is also a weight penalty
that must be paid for both liquid cooling and a redrive.

I hope to finish the painting of my airframe in the next couple of weeks
and then I will be able to concentrate on my engine installation. I have
seen the weight numbers quoted for the Corvairs and I am looking forward
to seeing how my installation will compare.

Stephen Teate
Paradise, Texas