At 10:11 AM 9/11/2009, you wrote:
>Hi Netters,
>Just been reading a lot about the evils of time
>expired fuel,yet theres nothing to state how
>long it takes for AVGAS to deteriorate.
>Eric,
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I found the following by "googled"  "avgas
storage life".  I included the info on oil and
grease in case anyone was interested.

Larry Flesner

What is the shelf life of avgas?
Reprinted with permission from General Aviation News
by Ben Visser
12/16/2005
Bill Albrecht, who has a heli-pad and hangar in
his backyard, recently installed a 2,000-gallon avgas
tank. His question: "What is the shelf life of avgas?"
The short answer is that, under most conditions,
the shelf life of avgas is about one year. If you are
a commercial operator, this is the end of the discussion.
For a private pilot, however, there are several
points to consider. First, there is a large margin of
safety in the one-year storage life of avgas. The
main concern when storing fuels is oxidation and
subsequent formation of gum. Once the fuel starts
to form gum, it can cause problems in the entire
fuel system. I've checked numerous avgas samples
after two years or even more and found no
degradation, with the samples meeting all
specification requirements. The samples will last even
longer if the container is blanketed with
nitrogen or stored in a colder climate.
The second point is that the one year shelf life
applies to avgas and not auto gas. If a pilot is using
auto gas, he should make a serious effort to use
all of the fuel supply within six months of
purchase.
So if avgas is good for one year, how long can
you store lubricants? Let's start with engine oils. The
specifications generally state that the
manufacturer must guarantee a product will meet physical
property limits for at least three years. Here
again, I've tested oils after five and 10 years — from
sealed containers — and found them to meet the
spec. There was a small amount of additive
settling after 10 years, but the oil was still on
spec. I've also checked samples from open drums
after three to five years and found them to be on
spec except for a amount of moisture dissolved in
the oil. This is not a serious problem if your
engine is running with a proper oil temperature and can
evaporate the moisture on the first few flights.
However with a low usage aircraft, especially one
with an oil temp below 160°F, the moisture can
contribute to increased rust activity in the engine.
The mil spec for aviation greases calls for the
manufacturer to guarantee that the product meets the
limits for at least three years. This is for a
product in a sealed container. The problem with grease is
that much of it is used from an open-top
container, which is generally open to the atmosphere. Here
the product is prone to absorb moisture. This can
be a problem because many of the applications
for these products do not get to a temperature
high enough to boil off the moisture. This can lead to
increased rust activity and decreased component
life. Therefore, it is important to always smooth
out the top surface of the grease to limit the
surface area exposed to air. I also have found
numerous containers that were not properly
covered. Many of these samples contained an excessive
amount of dirt and foreign matter which could
decrease component life. Greases should be stored in
a dry place with the lids tightly sealed.
Ben Visser is an aviation fuels and lubricants
expert who spent 33 years with Shell Oil. He has been
a private pilot since 1985. You can contact him
at vis...@generalaviationnews.com.