NetHeads,

Today was the first decent flying day for two weeks in the Southeast, with
dark blue skies and light winds, and I had planned to make an afternoon of
it.  The only thing I'd actually planned at takeoff was flying over the
Hytop Nexrad radar site so I could watch my GPS lose it's signal (it doesn't
take much to entertain me).  Before it was over, I'd flown 3.2 hours, burned
12.5 gallons of 93 octane fuel, and done twelve touch-and-goes at ten
different airports.  One tiny bit of entertainment was a guy in a Cessna
that was headed south down the Tennessee River behind me as I landed at
Stevenson, Scottsboro, and then Guntersville.  Each time I changed
frequencies I'd hear the guy a few miles behind me, and when I turned west
after departing Guntersville, he was even further behind me that when I'd
first heard him at Stevenson, and I'd done the pattern and a touch-and-go at
each aiport in between!  Nine of the ten landings were real greasers, and
the 10th was only slightly embarrassing. That was an awful lot of fun, for
less than $10 an hour.

It must have been National Red Tailed Hawk day, because I saw at least a
dozen of them, several at way too close range for comfort.  At one point two
of them appeared in front of me, one above and one below.  That lead to a
real problem, dive or climb to dodge!  I missed them both, but I saw one
later that couldn't have been more than fifty feet in front of me.  He
turned sharp to his right and I got a really nice view of his bottom side.

On my way home I'd stopped by the gas station to refill four six gallon gas
cans, when a guy pulled in next to me and started to fill a dusty little
two-gallon can.  I thought "I'll bet he feels a little inadequate with that
little can", and a few seconds later he looked over at me and said "Gee, I
feel a little inadquate with my little can compared to yours!"  I told him
he must be a mind reader, because I'd been tempted to crack a joke, but
assumed he'd think I was a crackpot of some kind, and he asked if I had a
boat or something.  I told him it was an airplane, and we stood there for
ten minutes talking about it, and I had to tell him about my afternoon.
He's a former navy pilot, was thinking about getting back into flying, and I
think I gave him several reasons to follow through with it!  It turns out
his neighbor  has a new weight-shift trike, and it so happened his neighbor
is in the hangar next to mine, and he was out flying when I got back.  Small
world...and a very nice day...

Mark Langford
N56ML "at" hiwaay.net
website at http://www.N56ML.com