Jeff Scott sent me a note asking if I was back, so I figured I would  let
everyone know I'm finally home from  my latest military deployment  to Iraq
and that my KR2S is back in the air.  But I didn't get  home until last
Tuesday the 29 of Sep, so I've missed two KR Gatherings in a  row, and yes I
was
bummed. I've stayed on the KR Digest and I did see where "Old  Blue" and the
one other plane crashed, very sad news but good to see Dan is  recovering
well.

Just this week I managed to get N1852Z back in the air. I had to replace
the entire exhaust system due to corrosion and age. I bought a few tubes from
 Steve Bennett welded it myself. Yesterday was her 1st real flight in over
a year  after a thorough Annual Inspection. She was happy to see air under
her wings  again and so was I.

Deployment went very well. Things in Iraq are in much better shape than my
deployment in 2005. The Surge did a good job of cleaning out the bad guys,
and  the Iraqi Security Forces are now in charge in all the cities. While it
will  never be perfect, the violence levels are pretty low compared with
previous  years.

I'm taking a month vacation before I head back to work at my engineering
job. I dropped by there yesterday and it looks like no issues with going
back.  The economy has caused some layoffs, but my job was held for me.

Thanks,

Rob Schmitt
N1852Z
Kansas City, MO