NetHeads,

I checked my compression yesterday, just for checkup purposes.  First I did the
usual automotive type test, and most are right around 170 psi, with one
exception...191psi on number 5. I guess there's a buildup in there of some
kind. My engine has a 9.4:1 compression ratio.  I then I did a differential
compression test, and (although I don't expect anybody to actually believe
this), I got six 80/80's!  Mine are usually pretty good, but that's a first for
me.  This particular incarnation is the 3100cc that I built to take William's
fifth bearing, which now has 143 hours on these rings.

The sparkplugs looked pretty good too.  See
http://home.hiwaay.net/~langford/corvair/misc/091122350m.jpg .  Not too bad,
but still showing the right bank is running a tad leaner than the pilot's bank,
probably because the throttle slides open from pilot's side to passenger side.
These are lined up #6 through #1 left to right.

Last weekend I flew to Arkansas, and got bored and did some testing along the
way.  Since I had to climb to 11,500' to get over Memphis Center anyway, I
decided to go all the way to 17,000' and get a climb rate number (and yes, I
did have oxygen).  For the last 500' (16,500 to 17,000), the average was 230
ft/min, so the service ceiling (which is defined as the highest altitude at
which 100 ft/min climb rate can be maintained) is considerably higher than
17,000'.  My wings are shorter than any other KR2S that I know of (19'), but I
usually fly at 1000 pounds, and I do have a pretty strong engine. One of these
days I hope to add on to the wing tips and get a little more wing area out of
it.

I took a new sunset photo the other day, at the top of
http://home.hiwaay.net/~langford/sunsets/ . Not my best, but a flying picture,
at least.  The fall colors picture just below it may be the last picture my old
Canon 300D will ever take.  After about 73,000 pictures over a seven year
period, the shutter mechanism finally wore out.   The mirror was stuck halfway
open and the curtain wouldn't open when I tried to take a picture.  Well see
what Canon has to say about that, but meantime I've bought a Canon 7D...

Mark Langford
N56ML "at" hiwaay.net
website at http://www.N56ML.com