From: "Mark Langford" <n5...@hiwaay.net>
To: "KRnet" <kr...@mylist.net>
Sent: Monday, November 30, 2009 6:52 AM
Subject: Re: KR> ethanol and the Ellison

Mike Stirewalt wrote:

> ethanol.  And who knows what it might be doing to diaphragms & other
> fittings inside the Ellison?

I know a guy who's had an Ellison diaphragm in a jar of E85 (85% ethanol)
for several years and it still looks like a new one.  But as Larry would
say, "your mileage may vary"!  I also took my Ellison apart after  a
thousand gallons of autofuel had been run through it and it also still
looked new.  I put it back in to continue the experiement.  I've now run
about 3000 gallons of autofuel through it, and best I can tell, it's still
fine.

Having said that, I run auto fuel almost exclusively, but am lucky that the
nearest gas station to my house and hangar can't sell ethanol-laced fuel
because it's incompatible with their tanks, which tells you something. I've
only knowingly put ethanol in it once, and that's when I was stuck out in
the boonies of Iowa with no aviation fuel available, and all auto fuel there
is apparently required to have ethanol in it.  I ran it through the exhaust
system before the day was over though.

I've never notcied a power difference with 100LL, but it sounds like a test
is in order!  I HAVE noticed that I can lean the engine a little further
before the engine gets rougher though...

Mark Langford
n5...@hiwaay.net
website www.n56ml.com