>Now a building question.  I need to encapsulate the ash in epoxy, what is
the right mixture for thinning epoxy so I can brush it on?  As you can tell,
it's been a while since I worked with wood:-)

Dana Overall

Dana,
What works for me is to thin the epoxy with acetone.  Mix the A & B parts
according to manufactures directions.  Add a little acetone at a time and
stir it in gently so as not to get to much air mixed in.  A varnish
consistancy is what you are looking for.  When you paint it on, the acetone
will penetrate the wood fibers and carry the epoxy with it.  As the epoxy
cures, the acetone will evaporate.  Do use rubber gloves and eye protection.
Make sure you have lots of ventilation.
Sid Wood
Tri-gear KR-2 N6242
Mechanicsville, MD, USA