Lee Van Dyke wrote:

> The plane I'm getting ready to deliver has a set of Matco brakes in it,
> and one side needs to be bleed.  Is there a good way to do this?
> I have been to the site for Matco and could not find a diagram of the
> cylinder.  There is an allen screw on top of the cylinder, but it >loosens
> up the entire top of the cylinder.  Is that right?  any help would be
> great.

If Matcos are like Clevelands, that allen screw is just an air vent or a
possible place to top it off with a syringe if necessary.  Here's how I do
the Clevelands.  The object is work from the bottom up so the air bubbles
rise with the fluid, rather than against it.  Remove that screw so there's a
way for the air to enter and exit the cylinder. Buy a new oil can with the
lever on the side and fill it with brake fluid.  Use a piece of polyurethane
tubing that fits both the end of the oil can and more importantly the brake
bleeder valve.  Pump brake fluid until there's nothing but fluid in the
tube, then connect to the bleeder valve.  Open the bleeder valve and pump
away.  It takes a good many pumps to fill the line and cylinder, but grand
total for mine (when empty) is about 60 strokes.  you shouldn't need nearly
that many to just bleed it.  I use a thin white tie wrap about 4" long as a
dip stick, and check through the screw hole that the allen screw came out of
.  When it's about 2/3 full, I quit pumping, shut the bleed valve, and go do
the other side.

I'm no Matco expert, but I'd think there would be some kind of relief screw
or equalization hole or something on top of that cylinder.  You might want
to wrap the cylinder with a paper towel in case you over fill it. I've done
that a time or two, so now I do exactly that. Come to think of it, you may
know everything I just said, except what the deal is with that screw.  If
so, my apologies, because I don't know the answer to that one either.

Mark Langford
N56ML "at" hiwaay.net
website at http://www.N56ML.com